Saturday, May 18, 2024

Gentleman Will

 I was at the driving range the other day getting ready to hit a bucket of balls.  I paid the 5 bucks and placed the basket at the bottom of the machine to collect the balls, and as the bucket fell over and balls scattered all over a voice behind me said that happens all the time. As I started collecting the balls I looked over and there he was helping me pick the balls up,  I said Thank You and noticed that the 30 balls I was supposed to receive amounted to only 19.  He said not to worry that he was getting a 100 ball bucket and would gladly share some of his rocks.

I introduced myself to this young man who was approximately the same age as our children.  He said my name is Will and I said it nice to meet you and we chatted about golf.  I went off to hit my balls and several minutes later he came over and to my surprise delivered a small bucket of balls. I thanked him and we talked again as said it's always nice to meet a fine young gentleman. 

As a father of three, it's always inspiring and encouraging to meet the next generation. Most golfers you meet are good people, we have to stick together since the game beats us all up at times.  The next day I was out playing and before my round was warming up on the range.  As fate would have it, I was going to the range to warm up and the golf ball machine again spitted golf balls all over but this time I had the opportunity to return the favor.  A fellow golfer who was waiting behind me helped me pick up the multitude of balls and as I was thanking him I invited him to fill up his bucket with the extra balls. 

There are no coincidences. 

Despite what we may hear on the news, the future is bright and in good hands.  We are all teachers and examples for the "youngsters" let us be shining beacons for them or even better yet we can learn a thing about kindness and generosity from them. 

Thank you Will! Godspeed.

With Love,

 Coach K



No comments:

Post a Comment