Friday, October 13, 2023

Breaking 80 - Happy Golf

 The Journey

I have been playing golf for approximately 46 years.  And while I played other sports in my younger days, golf was more of a hobby.  Not that I'm older golf has become more central as a sport and activity. 

The beauty of the game is that you can share with your friends and family, you get to be outdoors, it's a nice form of a full body exercise, and the best is that you can play for a lifetime. 

One of the best things I enjoy is playing with my children where we can be on the course together for several hours just enjoying each other's company with out cell phones and other distractions. 

As my children have learned the game and it's frustrations,  I often remind them that I have been playing for a lifetime and can just as easily shoot 100 as 88.  The fun is trying to improve and get better even though at times it seems you take one step forward and two steps backwards.  Golf can be very humbling.

But just like anything else, the more you work at it the better you will become.  And just the other day on a beautiful Fall day with the soft sun shining and the temperature around 70 degrees I experienced one of those rounds that I've been waiting for a long time.  On a terrific local PA course called Jeffersonville designed by famous golf architect Donald Ross and opened in 1913, I caught fire on the back nine shooting a 38 to post a final score of 80.   

My previous best on this course was in the low 90's but on this glorious day playing with my brother and two young studs Kyle and Ken, I found inspiration and proceeded to chip and putt my way to 6 pars on the back nine. 

Anyone who has played the game knows how frustrating it can be.  You game can disappear on any given hole.  I try to emphasize to my children and anyone I play with that the game will beat you up enough without you beating yourself up.  I tell them we play Happy Golf!  Enjoy being out on the course, feeling the wind on your face and the warm sun on your back and don't get too wrapped up in shooting a score.

Enjoy the process of getting better and the many great rounds ahead with family and friends.  If you're looking to start a new hobby or activity, give golf a try it can be challenging, stimulating, and fun. 

And remember Happy Golf!

With Love,

 Coach K



No comments:

Post a Comment