Sunday, October 19, 2014

Coach Frank Z. 50 years at the Fellowship House

Coach Frank


1971 was my first year living in Conshohocken,  we just moved from Roxborough and I was starting first grade at St. Matt's.  We moved into a house on East 5th avenue right down the street from Marywood park and the Fellowship House, known as the Fel.  Little did I know at the time, but the Fel would become my little slice of heaven.  We played basketball, met our friends, and basically lived there as children.  I remembered the people that worked there were really nice Jimmy, Maureen, Dennis, Esther, and Frank. 

As the years passed, Frank would become my basketball coach at St. Matt's,  I would later work with him and the gang at the Fel, and eventually become a Board Member to help give a little back to the place that gave me so much.  The wonderful experiences, fun memories, and friendships were some of the best times of my life.  Having the Fel was like being able to go to an amusement park every day after school.  We looked forward to spending our time there all just one block from our house. The Fel became part of my life, part of my family, and part of me. 

From the first grade,  Frank would go on to coach me, mentor me, he was like the big brother that was always looking out for you.  Coach is celebrating 50 years at the Fel this December, a remarkable accomplishment in today's age of layoffs, downsizing, and job hopping.  Frank has served the youth of Conshohocken during those 50 years, coaching thousand of kids in basketball and baseball.  He has become part of the fabric and very foundation of the Fel that has been so vital to the community all these years.

Coach has taught us all the meaning of service, selflessness, and generosity. He has always put others before himself, and though he never had children of his own, the thousands of children's lives he had a positive influence on will be his everlasting legacy as we share the values he taught us with our own children.

From 1964 to the present day, 50 years passes quickly.  From all us Thank You Coach for teaching us the right way and for always being there.  We love you and wish all the best in the next 50 years.

With Love,

Tom Kaufmann
Coach K

No comments:

Post a Comment