Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Majestic Peregrine Falcon

The Falcon


I had the incredible experience of coming face to face with a peregrine falcon.  The bird was simply majestic.  Even though the human being has the largest brain and is "king" of all wildlife, I felt humble next to the falcon.  I understand why falconry is the sport of kings.

I was going for a run at our local state park, that I recently learned has a bird observation tower to watch the migrating hawks that move from north to south each fall.  The tower has regular volunteers that keep watch for the birds throughout the year.  Real bird lovers.  I was fortunate enough to meet one of these people, as he was bringing his falcon and hawk to share with everyone that day.  

I learned that the falcon flies up to 250 mph in the air, and has special nostrils, and eye membranes to protect will descending at these speeds.  The jet engine was designed based on the nostril function of the falcon. 

The grace and majesty of the falcon was a special chance meeting that I will always remember.  Keep an eye out for the everyday beauty that nature provides us it's simply inspiring. 

With Love,

Tom Kaufmann
Coach K

No comments:

Post a Comment